
I am including this website - http://www.no-porn.com/ - as a perfect example of new media usage by a traditional religious group. There is many I could comment on, but let an Anonymous commenter do this for me, taken from the main page of this website:
“Thank you. When I used the software with your affirmation 'I never use porn or masturbate now,' my life was changed. I have been porn free for over a year. God bless you for this site.”
- Anonymous -
The Christian thread of the site might be not striking at first, you have to dig deeper into the site to find it out - I recommend the Survey or the Forums section.
Interesting website, really professional, subtle, commercial looking, yet in the same time, offers you a product like many of the other commercial websites, but with an assorted surplus, you might not be familiar with.
The question is, if it is possible to deal with moral issues like this, without the religious background, or, anyway, should we?
Secular means no to intervene until a certain point, is this before or after this certain point - the question lives on since it was included into our media space by the time of Victorian England, and many different answers were given in the last few centuries.
Lust, desire, pornography were ever juxtaposed by religious morals - the only question is if we feel fine with not deal with the cultural heritage of this phenomenon, but rather accept the very same answers, commonplaces fabricated centuries ago.
To depart form the average language of my blog, I have to admit, that these sites seem to be a little eerie for me from the perspective of Biopolitics. As biopolitics is one of the fundamental issues of secularism, we should form questions regarding of the possible intrusion of church into this, already much debated issue.
Thursday, March 13, 2008
No porn
Posted by
laiklik
at
2:18 AM
Labels: New Idolatry, sexuality and religion
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment